Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It's an Anniversary. And it's Happy.

Just wanted to take a moment to thank Heather for 13 years of putting up with my stupid crap (12 of them as my wife).

Through me, she has picked up terrible habits (like talking back to the teevee) and discovered more awful truths about politics and what's really going on than she ever would have otherwise learned, and despite my best efforts this has not made her a depressed wreck.

Over the years since we met, she has been uprooted from her childhood home and moved three times (this last one completely out of the country, even!), been driven all across the US, dragged to umpteen Doctor Who conventions, had to deal with all my smarty-haid friends (and a number of ex-lovers), met plenty of characters, geeks and freaks (famous and infamous) and has learned to love it all with a grace and sense of adventure that makes Sarah Palin look like a hog caller.

She could have had a normal life with a normal person. Instead, she signed up for a rollercoaster ride with a guy who thinks Talk Like A Pirate Day is the greatest holiday ever, and who first married her (the first of our three ceremonies) on the radio with Church of the SubGenius officials attending.

That kind of "game for anything" love-blindness is really, really rare. I don't know how much longer I can keep up the illusion that I know what I'm doing, but as long as I have Heather, I'm doing just fine, thanks. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Salt Spring!

Just wanted to say "Happy Anniversary!!".... Congratulations, and may you celebrate many many more...

Anonymous said...

As the PassedEr who first wed y'all, lemme just say A VERY MERRY UNIVERSARY TO YOU!

ShareThis!